Monday 14 September 2009

Training



Last Sunday we went for a 26-mile training ride, led by Mr D-J, to prepare ourselves for the Tour. This was the last of several he had very kindly led, to help familiarise those less used to road bikes with the feel of the machines. I've recently aquired a lovely Trek 1.2 myself, and I can confirm that they are definitely much more flighty than a standard bike. Although that doesn't mean a lot - my standard is that frisky-wheeled classic of British engineering, a Brompton!

There was definitely an Autumn chill in the air, and a very stiff wind, but, forearmed with the Nelmes Guide to Gear Use, everyone coped admirably with the distance. I'm sure it added to the reserve of stamina built up in the legs over the past few weeks.


Nelmes' Guide to Gear Use
Halfway we had a reviving tea break at the Canal Museum at Stoke Bruerne (must take Hannah the Hat Lady some day). We ate sugary pies and marvelled at the fact that the small tea room had at least 40 lights in the ceiling. The route was very pleasant and took in a lot of carefully chosen quiet lanes, a couple of reasonable hills, and some lovely villages. Sorry I can't remember all of their names ... think I must have been doing some breathing at the time.

After the ride I handed out some spare cycling tops (to match the riders' bikes of course) and issued a strong warning about cycling attire. Gary was very sensitive to cycling aesthetics and no clothing of 'the debased form' will be tolerated! I'm hoping everyone will dare to ease themselves into lycra or close-fitting wool, top and bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment